Supplements to Reduce Estrogen Dominance and Why
by Administrator on Sep 12, 2013
Estrogen is known as a female hormone that is important in menstruation and estrous reproductive cycles. Despite being primarily useful in females, it is also naturally produced in the male body in much smaller amounts.
Recently, estrogen dominance has been identified as a health concern for both men and women. Its effects on men include infertility, enlarged prostate, erectile dysfunction, low sex drive, gynecomastia or man boobs, weight gain, love handles and some kinds of cancer.
Essentially, estrogen dominance is a hormonal imbalance wherein the body produces more estrogen than it produces testosterone or progesterone. The known causes of estrogen dominance in males are:
- Obesity and gut issues – Gut leaks and improper absorption of nutrients are common in obese individuals. These cases lead to reabsorption of hormones that already need to be discarded.
- Alcoholism – Alcoholism causes liver problems and a faulty liver leads to messed up filtering of toxins and hormones in the body
- Xenoestrogens – Xenoestrogens are synthetic or natural compounds that mimic estrogen. Examples of such are phthalates, PCBs and BPA.
- Pituitary diseases
- Testicular tumors
- Slow estrogen metabolism – Estrogen metabolism naturally slows down as men age, especially when coupled with alcoholism and severe weight gain.
Estrogen dominance is not something that can be self-diagnosed because the physical symptoms (i.e. man boobs, love handles, decreased sex drive) may also be pointing to some other health problem. Estrogen dominance as with other hormonal imbalance issues has to be carefully treated. An expert physician has to check the symptoms to know for sure. There are several supplements recommended to reduce estrogen levels in males, such as:
- Diindolymethane or DIM – This is a phytonutrient naturally found in broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower and kale. DIM promotes the metabolism of estrogen to achieve hormonal balance. It can also boost libido, as well as inhibit effects of DHT, which is linked to prostate cancer and reduced nighttime urination problems of older men.
- Myomin – Myomin is made up of all-natural Chinese herbs. It inhibits aromatase to reduce the levels of estradiol and estrone (bad estrogens). It is known to take effect in as little as 10 days, and its side effects include less abdominal fat and better muscle tone.
- Calcium D-Glucarate – This is an extract found in vegetables and fruits that removes excess hormones and toxins. This also supports better liver function so excess hormones and nutrients are properly processed as well as used to boost the immune system.
- Life-Flo Complete Body 14 Day Cleanse Kit – This makes use of psyllium husks to rid the body of toxic chemicals, heavy metals and liver residues that propagate problems with excess estrogen in the body.
These four estrogen-reducing supplements named above are the most prescribed and reviewed ones out on the market today. They are all best taken in coordination with a healthy lifestyle change, preferably with the incorporation of more plant-based food items in the diet, more physical activity and less alcohol consumption. Though some may take effect in as little as two weeks, taking the supplements within the doctor’s prescribed time is important to get the maximum possible results.
Most Recent Articles
- Feb 10, 2014 Chondroitin Sulfate for Joints and Cartilage Support by Administrator
- Oct 24, 2013 Lutein and Zeaxanthin for Ocular Health by Administrator
- Sep 25, 2013 Diindolylmethane (DIM) for Estrogen Dominance by Administrator
- Sep 13, 2013 Banaba Leaf for Healthy Blood Sugar by Administrator
- Sep 12, 2013 Natural Herbs that Support Men's Health by Administrator